Tuesday, June 29, 2010

no longer a one dog household

It happened! I adopted a NAID!

My breeder, Jeanine, contacted me about 2 weeks ago to let me know that she knew a family that was giving up their female NAID and asked if I'd be interested. I was and she gave me their contact information. We e-mailed back and forth until we met Saturday, June 26th.

I felt VERY good about the whole thing. It all seemed right. Not to mention, the previous owners were LDS, so I felt that I had a connection with them and that I could trust them. It was a LONG two weeks.

They live in Denver, so we met halfway in Grand Junction. This meeting was to make sure that she and Poli would be okay together and that my mom was not allergic. After driving 4 hours, Spencer, Mom, Lindsey, and I arrived with Poli. We fell in love with the NAID(Tala) and after watching her and Poli for a bit, decided that they would eventually do great together(Poli was a little freaked).

I took her for a walk in the park before choosing for sure. She had never been trained to walk on leash without pulling. After only a few minutes, she understood and stayed with me pretty well. Once both parties decided this was the right decision, I left them to say their goodbyes and wrote the check. When we traded check and dog, her kids asked me to trade for Poli. It was cute but sad.

We drove home in near silence. My mother was astonished because neither dog was whimpering or whining and she had expected out new girl to be frothing at the mouth. We got home, I gave her a bath at Ruff House, and we are all doing well. She can jump our fence, but hasn't tried yet. She is a very smart girl, but rather shy. Poli avoids her mostly, but on Sunday he played with her. Although I was set on the name Missy, it didn't feel right. We named her Ari, still short for Artemis. She is already responding to it.

I took her to the vet today, and she is healthy. We got her vaccinated for rabies and licensed. We also printed a BYU tag at PETCO to put her name and our information. Now she jingles just like her brother. What a weekend!!!!

3 comments:

  1. first off: I didn't know you had a blog!!! I am so excited to read all that is going on!
    second: i LOVE your poli AND artemis. awesome!
    third: keep updating and posting... and don't forget to come on over to my blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. she's beautiful! My parents said she is an amazing dog!

    ReplyDelete